Sunday, April 1, 2012

How to Build a Canoe - Anyone Can Do It!

By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Joseph_B_Wood]Joseph B Wood
One of my life dreams was to learn how to build a canoe from scratch. I finally did it and I found out it wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated it being. With a good instruction book and clear plans, I just followed the directions, step by step, until one day it was finally done! This article is designed to help you learn how to build a canoe.
I won't be able to teach you everything in this short article, but I will give you a few key pointers and tips I learned while building my canoe.
My canoe was what's called a wood strip canoe. It's made of 1/4" thick cedar wood strips glued together, edge to edge. The strips are laid against plywood templates which give the canoe its shape.
Looking back on my project, I see several small things I would have done differently. Neither one has anything to do with the structural integrity of the boat. They are mostly regarding the appearance.
The first technique I would have done differently is to align the dark cedar strips on one side of the canoe with dark cedar strips on the other side. Cedar can vary quite a bit in shade from very dark to almost white. Viewing the canoe from the bow or stern, you see lighter strips across from darker strips.
The second thing I would tell someone who's learning how to build a canoe, is to use wood filler the same color as the wood you're filling. The book I read said to use "Rock Hard" water putty. It's very light in color, which doesn't blend at all with the darker cedar wood. Fiberglass does not cover discrepancies like this. They show right through.
All in all, learning how to build a canoe was fun and educational. And I ended up with a beautiful canoe which draws tons of compliments when my wife and I take it out!
As I was nearing the end of the construction process, I was tempted to buy the seats and paddles, which is an option if you find yourself short of time. I chose to make my own caned seats and wood strip paddles. Building the paddles wasn't too difficult or time-consuming, but caning the seats! Wow! That was a project all by itself. It took quite a bit of time, patience, and determination. But I get a good feeling knowing I built EVERY part of my canoe myself.
Even though I had previous woodworking experience, I believe that anyone with even a small amount of skill can easily learn how to build a canoe. All that's required is a good plan, time, and patience.
If you are into the beauty and serenity of owning and paddling a wood strip canoe, I highly recommend that you build a canoe yourself. Like I said before, learning how to build a canoe isn't difficult. Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.
If you'd like to see photos of my beautiful canoe, visit my website, [http://www.howtobuildacanoe.net]How to Build a Canoe. Not only will you find more pointers for canoe building, there's also some recommendations for good canoe plans.
Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?How-to-Build-a-Canoe---Anyone-Can-Do-It!&id=6650851] How to Build a Canoe - Anyone Can Do It!

No comments:

Post a Comment